Sunday, June 27, 2010

Archibald Gardner's obituary

Through the years, I have gathered many obituaries for Archibald's family. I've decided that it might be helpful for me to share these with the family members who may not have access to the resources I have available. It only seems obvious that I should start with Archibald himself. Below is an image of a newspaper article that was published in the Deseret News at the time of Archibald's death.

Deseret News, 12 Feb 1902

Noted Character Laid to Rest
Remains of the Late Bishop Archibald Gardner Consigned to the
Tomb This Afternoon--A Pioneer Who Builded Well
And Lived a Life of Goodly Deeds.

As set forth on another page of this paper, the remains of the late Bishop Archibald Gardner were consigned to the tomb this afternoon, the funeral services taking place at the Fourteenth ward assembly rooms and the interment at the city cemetery. With those offices comes the pleasant memory that he builded well, both as in character and things material and that his life's pages are everywhere brightened by the record of goodly deeds.

Archibald Gardner was born in Kilsyth, Sterlingshire, Scotland, on Sept. 2, 1814. When he was [7] years of age his parents moved to Canada, he of course accompanying them. In 1839 he married Miss Margaret Livingston, and in 1845 he was baptized into the Mormon Church with nearly every member of his family. The same year of his baptism he moved to Nauvoo in company with his father, brothers, one sister and their families, numbering twenty-four in all. He reached the ill-fated city just as the Saints were being expelled from their homes, so he went with his relatives across the river and settled in Winter Quarters. Remaining there all winter, the Gardner's prepared their outfits in the spring, and in June, 1847, they joined Bishop Hunter's company and set out for the Salt Lake Valley, reaching here on Oct. 1st. The following spring Mr. Gardner moved to Mill Creek where he lived for ten years. At this time the move south was instituted and Mr. Gardner took his family to Spanish Fork, but he was not permitted to remain there long for in the following year he was called to be Bishop over the West Jordan ward. Being a man of sterling worth, he held that position with credit for thirty-two years. While in the East he had learned the trade of mill building, and after coming to the West he followed that vocation and erected some of the first mills in this country, two of them being in Mill Creek.

In 1880 he was elected a member of the territorial legislature, and was an intelligent and able member of that body. Two or three years later he moved to Star Valley in Wyoming and did an immense amount of good in assisting to build up that country. A few years ago he returned to West Jordan and lived out the remainder of his life in the bosom of his family.

He was the father of a large family, has 201 grandchildren and 34 great-grandchildren.

During his useful life he built 36 mills, most of which he erected in Canada, when he was only nineteen years old. The last one he built at Spanish Fork when he was 86 years of age. Despite his venerable age he never outlived his usefulness, having ever been one of the most valuable members of the community. He was a typical pioneer, possessing to a large degree the wisdom courage and industry that are essential in the founding of a commonwealth. The impress of his strong and rugged character had been made upon this state and time can never efface it. His was a large and generous heart, and planning something for the public good was, with him, a passion. He was the principal promoter of the Jordan canal system, which made homes for hundreds of people.

He died at St. Mark's hospital on Feb. 8th, of strangulated hernia. It is a fact of more than passing interest that Bishop Gardner died almost on the very spot where he spent his first winter in this valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment